Nanocoatings in aerospace
Aerospace and aviation coatings are generally used for protecting the structures and surfaces of the aircraft from harsh environments. Increasing requirements such as resistance to extreme temperatures, extreme climates, corrosion, abrasion and wear of engine parts have resulted in an increased demand for more reliable high performance coatings. A number of aerospace companies and agencies are beginning to use, or investigate the use of, nanocoatings in aerospace to add special characteristics to aircraft frames and interior and engine parts and component surfaces, which can include properties such as: self-cleaning; improved hardness; wear and corrosion resistance; improvement in fuel efficiency; and improved thermal performance and flame retardancy.
Advantages of nanocoatings in aerospace
Advantages of using nanocoatings in aerospace and aviation include reduced carbon footprint, fewer cleaning and maintenance costs, protection against corrosion and erosion and reduced ice accretion. Nanocoatings are also allowing for fuel-burn savings through drag reduction. Aviation, especially military aviation suffers high maintenance costs which can be alleviated with the use of anti-corrosion nanocoatings. Multilayer structure, temperatures resistant, thermal shock, corrosive and erosive wear-resistant nanocoatings are also increasing in application in turboengines, increasing their service life considerably. Nanoparticle coatings can also facilitate crack healing, resulting in improved high-temperature, strength and creep resistance.
Nanocoatings in aerospace includes:
- NANOMATERIALS IN NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Nanomaterials utilized in aerospace coatings including silicon dioxide, carbon nanotubes, aluminium oxide, antimony tin oxide, zirconium dioxide and graphene.
- ANTI-CORROSION NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the anti-corrosion coatings sector.
- ABRASION AND WEAR-RESISTANT NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the abrasion and wear-resistant coatings sector.
- SUPERHYDROPHOBIC NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the superhydrophobic coatings sector.
- ANTI-ICING NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the anti-icing coatings sector.
- THERMAL BARRIER AND FLAME RETARDANT NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the thermal barrier and flame retardant coatings sector.
- CONDUCTIVE NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Properties, effect, applications and companies in the conductive coatings sector.
- MARKET OUTLOOK FOR NANOCOATINGS IN AEROSPACE: Applications, nanomaterials, product development and market outlook.
- COMPANIES Profiles of producers, application developers and OEMs in nanocoatings in aerospace. Companies profiled include Applied Thin Films, Inc., EnvAerospace, Inc., MDS Coating Technologies Corporation, Naco Technologies, Inc. and many more.
Published April 2014 | 38 pages | Table of contents