IN THIS ISSUE
Ta-C coating materials similar to amorphous diamond (a-D) is the only harder carbon material (> 60GPa) which has the combined outstanding properties originally erroneously thought Diamond like Carbon (DLC) would have.
Developments of revised carbon material fundamentals allow design for corresponding up-scaled coating equipment’s and understood process enabling stress to be reduced and adhesion secured without significant ta-C degrading. Thus explaining why ta-C is now to be considered for many new technologic application and often in substitution to many elder more common less performing coatings and which will correspond to an important future market concerning both specific equipment manufacturing and subcontractor coating. This special report on a market that will potentially be greater than DLC and graphene for carbon coatings includes:
- Harder ta-C coatings (Amorphous diamond).
- Main hard ta-C coating material properties.
- Comparison with graphene.
- Applications for ta-C coatings.
- Recent progress in carbon fundamentals.
- Markets for ta-C coatings, including financial estimations:
- Medical implants.
- Friction coatings.
- Optical lenses.
- Anti-icing coatings.
- Energy storage and energy conversion.
- Water treatment.
- Heat exchangers and water desalinization.
- Solar energy.
Application focus: Hydrophobic nanocoatings for consumer electronics
Most major handheld electronics manufacturers have made their devices water resistant in the last two years, with Apple, Samsung and Sony joining Nokia, Motorola and Huawei in waterproofing smartphones.
There are several innovative application developers now producing protective hydrophobic, superhydrophobic and oleophobic (HSHO) nanocoatings to treat electronic devices, including: cellular phones, smart phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), music players, cameras, video recorders, computers, tablet computers, batteries, e-readers, radio devices and gaming devices.
- Company profiles.
- Recent commercial activity.
- Synthesis and production methods, by company.
Investment and funding news
- Nanocoatings funding.
- Graphene financials.
- Collaboration in graphene composites.
- Funding for nanocatalysts.
- Biomedical funding for nanotech.
- Plastic packaging investment.
Nanotech business and product news
- Nano-pigments for coatings.
- Cellulose nanofiber product launch in Japan.
- Cellulose nanofiber commercial production facility opened.
- Nanocellulose for thermoplastics.
- Quantum dot-based solar photovoltaics.
- Natural nanobiowire technologies.
Government, regulation, funding and policy news
- EPA nanomaterials.
- Funding for carbon nanotubes.
- Nanomaterials evaluation.
- Nanomaterials in cosmetics.
Nanoelectronics and nanophotonics news
- Carbon nanotubes metal wire replacement for mobile applications.
- Quantum dot films.
- Quantum dot OLED agreement signed.
- New quantum dot patent.
- Quantum for gaming monitors.
Graphene business news
- Silicon-graphene anodes for the next generation of lithium-ion batteries.
- Paper-like graphene membrane.
- Pilot biomass graphene production line
- Outstanding concrete strength test results using graphene.
- Sensor to provide an easy, low-cost method of diagnosing hepatitis on the spot using graphene.
- Graphene smart fluids.
- New graphene oxide production method.
Nanocoatings product and business news
- Graphene-infused paints.
- Anti-corrosion nanocoatings in the oil and gas sector.
- Nanocoatings for condenser tubes in power plants.
- Nanotubes-based coating for protection against damage from ultraviolet radiation.